Monday, November 1, 2010

Live in 2010: Part 2

I try to make it to the Hollywood Bowl at least once a year for a show. This year, I went twice!

The Hollywood Bowl is a huge venue, and typically I prefer a smaller setting where I can at least see the performer's faces. They try to make up for it there by using video screens which helps a bit. But what I love about the Hollywood Bowl is sitting in the open air, having a picnic dinner with friends, and people watching. I also love that feeling of nostalgia I get at the Bowl. The first time I saw the place was in the movie Anchors Aweigh. In one scene, Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra sneaked into the Bowl and run all the way down to the stage. The bigness of it on the screen was unbelievable to me, and it still catches me by surprise.

In May, I went with some friends to see Flight of the Conchords play at the Bowl. I was so excited to see them live. I fell in love with these guys while living in New Zealand a few years ago, and listening to them brings up a lot of good memories from that period in my life.

Eugene Mirman, Arj Barker and Kristen Schaal, co-stars from the Flight of the Conchords television show, opened up the night each doing their own stand-up. Kristen was especially hilarious, and I loved her bit about her Law and Order:SVU "audition". Look it up on Youtube when you have a chance!

Bret and Jemaine were funny and charming, of course, playing up the awkward naivete that is their signature. They are as funny live as on the show, and their acoustic versions of songs are perhaps better than the album. Here's the set list from that night:

The Humans Are Dead
The Most Beautiful Girl in the Room
Hurt Feelings
If You're Into It
Albee the Racist Dragon
Jenny
Korean Karaoke
To Woo A Lady
You Don't Love Me Anymore
Think About It
Business Time
Epileptic Dog
Intercity Life
I'm Not Crying
Oh My God--She's So Hot
Back On The Road
Demon Woman
Too Many Dicks on the Dance Floor
Rock the Party
Hiphopopotamus vs. Rhymenoceros
Sugarlumps
*even typing up these titles makes me chuckle

Moving to a completely different genre, my second show at the Bowl was in August to see Harry Connick Jr. and his band perform with members of the L.A. Philharmonic Orchestra. I have been a fan of Harry Connick Jr. since high school and it was my first time seeing him live. I knew I was in for a treat when the saxophonist opened the night with a swingin' version of The Star Spangled Banner.

I knew Harry was some sort of piano prodigy, but after seeing him in person, improvising and riffing with his band, I really appreciate what that means. They had cameras trained on his fingers so the crowd could watch his performance on the screens. I spent the whole night in awe of his abilities. Harry is obviously talented musician, but he is also a showman--a complete ham! He was telling funny anecdotes, dancing around the stage, making fun of himself and his band. You could tell he was just enjoying every moment.

I lost my notes from that night, so no set list for this one, but come back again for Part 3 and 4 of Live in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment