Friday, October 9, 2009

Classic Film: Random Harvest

I sat down to watch Random Harvest the other day without having any previous knowledge of it except that it starred the fantastic actress, Greer Garson. I had no idea the pleasant surprise that awaited me with this film from 1942.

The story is about an amnesiac British war veteran who marries a kind chorus girl named Paula. When another head injury restores his memory, the vet then loses all of his memories since the amnesia first set in. He returns to his former life, gets engaged to another girl--all without ever realizing that he has abandoned his first wife. If that wasn't twisty drama enough, Paula resurfaces in her husband's new life, but not in any way I expected.

I was never sure as the film progressed whether the ending would be a happy one or not. I was completely drawn into the story and the characters. For a film that is more than half a century old, Random Harvest never felt out of date.

Random Harvest came out the same year as another great Greer Garson film, Mrs. Miniver. While she may have won an Oscar for her role in Mrs. Miniver, I think Random Harvest might be an even better film. Has any one else seen both of these movies and would like to weigh in?

No comments:

Post a Comment